Friday, July 3, 2009

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet Palace : Phetchaburi

[Photo Source:]

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet
(Ban Puen Palace) is a palace which King Chulalongkorn graciously built Ban Puen in 1910. Local people usually call it "Wang Ban Puen". The building shows the glamour of the Western architect and interior designer. At present, the palace is under the supervision of the Army campus of Phetchaburi province. Open daily during office hours.
This palace, originally called Ban Puen Palace, was located at Tambon Ban Mo Amphoe Muang Changwat Phetchaburi. King ChulachomWao, Rama V, desired to have it built as a rainy season palace with his own money. The plot of land was bought from a villager and the design was made by a German, Mr.Karl Deurring. Admiral HRH Prince Boriphat of Nakhonsawan and HRH Prince Damrong were assigned to monitor the construction. The palace is of European design and construc-tion began in 1909 and completed in 1916. The palace was named during the reign of King Rama Vl as Son Phetch Prasat Palace. The name was changed to be Phraram Ratchaniwet in the year 1918 when it was used as a palace to welcome and accommodate state visitors.

During the reign of King Rama VII the place was utilized, by the royal command, as Boy Scout Commanding School, Agricultural Teacher Training College, Tambon Public School, etc. In the year 1986, the Royal Thai Army requested the cooperation of the Fine Arts Department to renovate the palace spending the budget of the Fine Arts Department to the amount of 2.8 million baht and the budget of the Royal Thai Army to the amount of 8.3 million baht. The renovation was completed in the year 1987. It is expected that this palace will be used as the Phetchaburi National Museum.


Tags : / / / /

No comments: