Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wat Songtham Worawihan : Samut Prakarn


Wat Songtham Worawihan is an old temple of Mon-Buddhism sect. It was constructed at the same time when Muang Nakhon Khuaenkhan was being built, during the reign of King Rama III. At present, it is a second class royal monastery. The huge Phra Raman Chedi was built in Mon style. Buildings in this temple are built of brick and cement. A decoration on the roof of the temple is made of teak. The replication of Lord Buddha's Footprint was enshrined inside the temple.

Tags : / /

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat : Ratchaburi


This ancient temple, locally called Wat Na Phra That, is situated on the west bank of the Mae Klong River in the town. Its elegant prang or pagoda remains in good condition and was probably copied from Cambodia's Angkor Wat. The prang made of bricks and stones stands on a rectangular base with pathways around the cloisters. The outer stucco designs were made in the reign of King Borommakot of Ayutthaya. Buddha images of Dvaravati, Lop Buri and Ayutthaya periods are placed around the pagoda.

2 kilometres west of Wat Na Phra That on the route to Khao Ngu is Wat Aranyik with a prang identical to that of Wat Na Phra That but smaller in size.

Photo credits to
http://ecurriculum.mv.ac.th

Tags: /////

Wat Khian Bang Kaeo : Phatthalung


This temple is on Highway No. 4081, 7 kilometres past Khao Chaison district office, in the area of Ban Bang Kaeo at Km. 14. A left-hand road leads to the temple. Wat Khian is situated on the bank of Songkhla Lake. This old monastery has the sacred Phra That Bang Kaeo, built in the same style as Phra Maha That Chedi in Nakhon Si Thammarat but smaller. This is one of the oldest historical sites of Phatthalung, dating back to the early Ayutthaya period. It is believed that the temple area was once the site of Phatthalung town because many laterite ruins and Buddha images have been found her

Tags: /////

Friday, October 9, 2009

Wat Li : Phayao


Wat Li is located at Ban Lai Ing, near the 3rd Municipality School, Wiang Sub-district. It is an ancient and significant temple of Phayao constructed in 1495 to be presented to Phrachao Yot Chiang Rai, the king of Chiang Mai Town.

Li is its original name. It is an ancient northern Thai dialect, meaning Kat or Talat or market. Therefore, it means a temple in the area of the market community. Within the compound of the temple, there are important ancient remains; namely, Phrathat Wat Li, and many artefacts of the Phayao Kingdom, especially the sandstone Buddha images. Moreover, there is a museum collecting various artefacts.

Photo credits to www.thai-tour.com

Related Post :Temple in Phayao
- Wat Tha Fa Tai
- Wat Analayo-Doi Busarakham

Tags: /////

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wat Khao Khunpanom : Nakhon Si Thamarat



This temple is at Moo 3, Tambol Baan Koh, take Highway 4016 from the city to 21st Milestone pass Promloke Market, turn right into the street for another 2.5 km.

Wat Khao Khunpanom is an important temple in history and archaeology. It has caves with cement wall and markers like the city wall. The front wall is decorated with chinaware. Inside the caves are about 30 statues of Buddha made from copper and a copper Buddha’s footprint.

Some of the caves here are connected. It was assumed that this was the residency of King Taksin the Great but some said it was the recreation place of Princess Kaesinee the daughter of Chao Nara Suriyawong, who ruled Nakhonsithammarat from 1769 to 1776.

From the conversation of the monk at this temple, there are many who believe that this was the place King Taksin came to make merit with his followers after being abdicated from the throne. He later died while being a monk at this temple. On the walkway up the hill, there’s a Science Centre for Study of Khao Khunpanom to give knowledge in science, technology, environment and eco-tourism to the public.

The community of Khao Khumpanom is a cultural community. There are many activities such as boy-scout camping & meeting, tourism group to visit fruit orchards with bicycles, etc.

Photo credits to www.thai-tour.com
[source: www.nakhontourism.org]

Tags: /////

Thai Style Monk’s House at Wat Wang West : Nakhon Si Thamarat



It’s situated on Ratchadamnern Road on the area that is believed to be opposite the East Palace that belonged to Chaojom Prang. It used to be a park and later Chaophaya Nakhon (Noi) gave the East Palace and the park opposite to the temple so it became Wat Wang West (West Palace Temple). In 1888, Prakroo Kachad (Yong) and his disciples had built a set of monk’s house with 3 buildings consisted of gabled-roof, each roof connected to each other. The houses used carved- wooden partitions. The doors, windows and ventilators were decorated with unique Nakhon-style. In 1992 the Siam Architectural Society had picked
[source: www.nakhontourism.org]

Tags : // /

Wat Si Mongkhon Tai : Mukdahan


Wat Si Mongkhon Tai is near the immigration checkpoint. The temple houses an important Buddha image of the province, Phra Chao Ong Luang, an image built before the citys founding. This brick image is 2.2 metres wide and 2 metres high. According to legend, the first lord of Mukdahan discovered it while he was overseeing the citys construction. In addition, another image made of steel was found under a Bodi tree with only its top part protruding from the ground.

Photo credits to
www.thai-tour.com

Tags: /////

Friday, September 25, 2009

Phra Narai Ratchaniwet (King Narais Palace) : Lopburi (2)


[Photo credits to www.tat.or.th]

Structures built during the reign of King Narai the Great include:

Chantara Phaisan Pavilion

The first Palace of King Narai the Great in Lop Buri, the Pavilion was subsequently turned into an audience hall after he moved his residence to the Suttha Sawan Pavilion. The fact that the building is of pure Thai architectural style indicates that no French architects were involved in the design and construction process. King Rama IV (King Mongkut of the Ratanakosin era) restored the building in 1863. The Pavilion was once used by the privy-council as a meeting hall. Now, it serves as a hall displaying archaeological and art objects, especially the Lop Buri-style stone Buddha images, historic paintings from the era of King Narai the Great and Buddhist art objects from the Ayutthaya and Ratanakosin period.

Phra Khlang Supharat

This compound was built as a place to store royal treasures and royal goods sold to foreign merchants during the late 1600s. It is commonly known as the Twelve Treasure Houses.

Elephant and Horse Stables

This compound is located close to the wall separating the outer and middle sections of the Palace.

The Water Reservoir

Constructed during the reign of King Narai the Great, the reservoir stored water which came from a freshwater lake Tale Chupsorn, through the well designed terra cotta pipes. Tale Chupsorn was the main lake supplying drinking water to Lop Buri residents.

The Dusit Sawan Thanya Maha Prasat Hall

Constructed under the royal command of King Narai the Great, the Hall was formerly used by King Narai as an audience hall receiving high-ranking foreign ambassadors. This was the place where the King received Chevalier de Chaumont, the representative of King Louis XIV of France. The Hall was built in a perfect blending of French and Thai architectural styles.

The Suttha Sawan Pavilion

The Pavilion was once located amidst a beautifully decorated garden with ponds and fountains. This was the place where King Narai the Great resided and died on 11 July 1688. Apart from the Pavilion, which had been restored by King Mongkut, only the remains of man-made hills and fountains can be seen.

Kraison Siharat Hall

Commonly known as Phra Thinang Yen, the Hall is located on an island in a dried up lake, Thale Chupson, which once supplied fresh drinking water to the people of Lop Buri. Kraison Siharat Hall was used as the residence of King Narai, Jesuits and envoys of King Louis XIV of France when they came to witness a lunar eclipse on 11 December, 1685

Phra Chao Hao Building

Built by King Narai the Great, the building is located to the south of the outer section of the palace. Serving as the Kings private audience hall, the building featured Thai-style architecture of which it is currently possible to see only the remains of wall sections with visible decorative motifs at the doors and windows.

Banquet Hall

Surrounded on three sides by ponds, the Hall was built to entertain important foreign visitors. One of the remains includes a brick platform facing the Hall, which was used as a stage or theater possibly for shadow plays or dances indicating that the place was once used as an entertainment compound.

Phiman Mongkut Pavilion

This pavilion was a three-story brick building where King Rama IV (King Mongkut) resided when he visited Lop Buri during the renovation of the Palace. Connected to the pavilion are three other buildings namely Suttha Winitchai Pavilion, Chai Sattrakon Pavilion and Akson Sattrakhom. All of these buildings are now being used as the offices of the Lop Buri National Museum.

Phra Prathiap Building

A group of eight two-story buildings built behind King Mongkut's residence (Phiman Mongkut Pavilion), which were used as residences for inner court officials.

Royal Guards Residence

This is located at the entrance of the middle court.

Phra Narai Ratchaniwet (King Narais Palace) : Lopburi (1)

Tags: ////

Phra Narai Ratchaniwet (King Narais Palace) : Lopburi (1)


[Photo credits to www.tat.or.th]

The palace was built in 1665 and 1677, when King Narai the Great decided to make Lop Buri the second capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Although the buildings were designed by with the contributions of French architects, the Khmer influence was still strong. The Palace was a perfect blend of the both world, an awesome mixture of Khmer-European styles.

After the death of King Narai the Great in 1688, the palace was deserted. It was not until the reign of King Rama IV during the Ratanakosin era, that the Palace was restored and renamed Narai Ratchaniwet.

The Palace is located in the town center, between Ratchadamnoen Road and Pratu Chai Road. The whole complex has been turned into the Lop Buri National Museum (commonly known as King Narai National Museum).

The Palace can be accessed through the Pratu Phayakkha, which is currently a town park, located off Sorasak Road. The Palace opens Wednesdays through Sundays from 7.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

Within the Palace lies a number of compounds containing pavilions, some built during the reign of King Narai and others constructed during the reign of King Rama IV.

Tags: ////

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wat Phra Si Maha That : Lopburi



The oldest temple with tallest Prang in Lop Buri, Wat Phra Si Maha That is located behind the railway station near the San Phra Kan. The Lop-Buri style prang in front of the temple was built around 1157 when the town came under Khmer rule. The U-Thong style Buddha images on the prang and the large viharn were later added by King Narai the Great. The laterite prang still has some original lintels and stucco work intact. A number of other chedis and prangs - most of which were restored were greatly influenced by both the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya styles.

The admission fee is 50 baht each. A package ticket is also visiting at 150 baht each, covering admission to Phra Prang Sam Yot, Vichayen House and Kraison Siharat Hall


[ Photo credits to http://lms.thaicyberu.go.th ]

Tags: /////

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wat Phra Bat Huai Tom : Lamphun



Wat Phra Bat Huai Tom
is the largest temple in the district, boasting a large Lanna-style Chedi and an extensive place of worship built in laterite by Karens living in the vicinity who were admirers of the highly revered Phra Kru Ba Chaiwongsa. The temple is about 5 kilometres off Highway No. 106 at Km. 47. About 2 kilometres from Li is a group of five old pagoda known as the Chedi Ha Duang The site is believed to have been an ancient town. Covering an area of over 1,000 square kilometres is the Mae Ping National Park. Its main feature is the Ping River, which flows through the forests in the park. On both sides are fertile forest-lands with sheer cliffs providing beautiful natural scenery. Certain parts of the waterway spread out to form reservoir-like bodies of water with numerous small islands and rapids.

[Photo source: www.rakpratat.com]

Tags: /////

Wat Phra That Chom Ping and Wat Si Rong Mueang : Lampang



Wat Phra That Chom Ping :
Using the same route as Wat Phra That Lampang Luang but taking a left turn at the district office and continue on for 14 kilometres is Wat Phra That Chom Ping. Another age-old temple of Lampang, its unique feature is the reflections in natural colors of Chedi which appear on the floor within the dark interior of the Ubosot.




Wat Si Rong Mueang
:
To the west of town is Wat Si Rong Mueang , a Burmese temple built in 1905 during the time when Lampang was the commercial and forestry centre. Major architectural works include the Vihan made of wood with several overlapping gables in the Burmese style. It is a temple with elaborate carving decorations and plaster designs adorned with colored glass fashioned with delicate craftsmanship.

Photo source: www.lampangcity.go.th, www.thai-tour.com

Tags : // ///

Wat Tham Suea ( Tiger Cave Temple ) : Krabi



Wat Tham Suea
,
also known as "Tiger cave Temple," is located in the Khiriwong Valley amidst lush forests and mountains with large trees over a hundred years old approximately 9 kilometers northeast of Krabi Town. Aside from being the site of a meditation center, the compound is also a place of archaeological and historical interest as excavations have uncovered stone tools, pottery remains and Buddha footprint crafting molds. In addition, a cave in the compound has what appears to be tiger paw prints in the stone.

Photo source : www.watthumsuakrabi.com

Tags : ////

Wat Phra That Doi Tung : Chiang Rai



Wat Phra That Doi Tung
is located on top of Doi Tung Mountain, the highest mountain in Chiang Rai Province with an elevation of approximately 2,000 meters, about 50 kilometers south of Mae Sai town which is near the Myanmar border. The temple can be reached via a 40-kilometer mountain road which meanders along the mountainside. The journey is worthwhile as the panoramic views into Laos and Myanmar at the peak are spectacular.

Wat Phra That Doi Tung was constructed in the 10th century and was renovated by Chiang Rai's most famous ruler King Mengrai during the 13th century and by the famous Chiang Mai monk, Khru Ba Siwichai, at the turn of the 20th century.

The temple complex is comprised of twin Lanna style chedis, one of which is said to contain the left collarbone of the Lord Buddha. Throughout the year, the holy relic draws devout Buddhists from all over Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.

Tags : ////

Friday, September 11, 2009

Royal Palace : Ayutthaya



Currently called “Ancient Palace”. The residential palace of every king was located close to the city wall of Ayutthaya. A road passes by from Chantharakasem Palace, which is two kilometres away to the north. Important buildings inside the Grand Palace compound are :

Wihan Somdet Hall The top of this hall has been decorated in a unique style of architecture called Prang. It has longer space in front and rear gabled rooms, and shorter space in the side gabled rooms. It was surrounded with a three-sided cloister and utilized for various royal ceremonies such as coronations. This was the first building over constructed in Ayutthaya to be affixed with gold leaf.

Sanphet Prasat Hall This is the middle building construted in the same design as Wihan Somdet Hall. Kings used it to welcome foreign envoys and visitors.

Suriyat Amarin Hall A four-gabled roof building constructed of sandstone and brick ; it is close to the riverside city wall. It was used as a place to witness the royal barge processions.

Chakkrawat Phaichayon Hall
With a three-gabled roof, it is on the inner eastern city wall in front of the Grand Palace. It was used to view processions and military practice.

Trimuk Hall This is located behind the Sanphet Prasat Hall. It is believed to have been the residential area of the consort members and is also the royal relaxing place in the garden.

Banyong Rattanat Hall Formerly known by the name of “Phra Thinang Thaisa”, it is located in the back compound of the Grand Palace on an Island in a pond. It has a four-gabled roof architecture.

Remains of the throne halls that are left to be seen at present were constructed in the reign of King Borommatrailokkanat and used to serve as royal residences for all later kings.

Open daily during 6.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.

Admission is 50 Baht each. A package ticket is also available at 220 Baht each, covering admission to temples and museums within the province and valid for 30 days, including Wat Phra Si Sanphet and the Ancient Palace Complex, Wat Mahathat, Wat Ratchaburana, Wat Phra Ram, Wat Chai Watthanaram and Wat Maheyong. For more details, please call Tel. 0 3524 2501, 0 3524 4570.


Photo source : wikipedia

Tags : / / / /

Wat Chaiyo Worawihan or Wat Ket Chaiyo : Ang Thong



Wat Ket Chaiyo
is situated on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, approximately 18 kilometers away from Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong, on Ang Thong Sing Buri route. This is the second-class royal monastery. Formerly it was a small ordinary temple constructed in the Ayutthaya period with the unknown building date. Later in the reign of King Rama IV, this temple was noted when Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) a revered monk of Wat Rakhangkhositaram in Thonburi constructed a large seated Buddha image in the posture of meditation made of white plaster.

In the reign of King Rama V, His Majesty the King went to worship the image and had Wat Chaiyo renovated in 1887 but the vibration from ramming piles of the wihan caused the large Buddha image to collapse. The king then commanded to build a new large Buddha image following the pattern of the large Buddha image at Wat Kalayanamit. The new one has the lap width of 16.10 meters and the height (from radiance to feet) of 22.65 meters and was graciously named Phra Mahaphutthaphim. There was the biggest celebration for the image ever held in Ang Thong at that time. The molded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) constructed in 1894, having the lap width of 5 meters and the height of 7 meters, has been enshrined in the wihan facing the Chao Phraya River.


The large Buddha image housed in this wihan is larger, more elegant, and more remarkable wihan than any other, therefore, Buddhists from various parts of the country have continuously paid homage to this image. In front of the wihan, the ubosot facing the was constructed using the magnificent Thai architectural design. Inside the ubosot, there are mural paintings depicting scenes of the Lord Buddhas chronicles painted by the artisan in the reign of King Rama V, and the molded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) from Thonburi. At present, Chao Phraya RiverWat Chaiyo Worawihan has been renovated to exhibit its distinctive beauty.

Photo credits to kedchaiyo.com, dhammathai.org

Tags: //////

Wat Phra Thaen Sila At : Uttaradit


[ Photo : ecurriculum.mv.ac.th ]

A little further from Wat Phra Yun, some 14 kilometres from town is Wat Phra Thaen Sila At. The major feature is the base of a sermon platform built with laterite. The square slab with pattern is believed to have been made during the Sukhothai Period. Annual celebrations are held at the three temples in February.

Tags :
////

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wat Khao Wong : Uthai Thani



Wat Khao Wong
is a temple in a valley. It has a beautiful two-storey Thai-style convocation hall. The area has been exquisitely landscaped. The monastery is the 13th of 19 branches of Wat Sangkhathan in Nonthaburi that are in places such as Chiang Mai, Um Phang, the United Kingdom, and India. The monastery was built in 1987 and has a total area of 320,000 square metres. The surrounding area is mountain and forest.

The most striking feature of Khao Wong Monastery is the 4-storey Thai-style multi-purpose pavilion. Built almost entirely of wood, the pavilion has a pond in front with many fish. Around the pond is a garden of colourful flowers. The wood used in the pavilion’s construction was donated by locals and has been transformed into a work of architecture that retains natural qualities. The monastery has a monthly meditation class for those who are interested.

Getting There: Use the same route as Phu Wai Cave. It is about 3 kilometres before reaching the cave (there is a cooperative store selling souvenirs and free accommodation for up to 200 persons).

Tags : ///

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Prasat Yai Ngao : Surin


[ photo credits to www.surinpao.org ]

This Khmer ruin consists of 3 towers, only 2 of which remain now, lying on laterite platforms in North - South direction. The Fine Arts Department has laid down recovered pieces in the compound’s front yard, including the tower vertex, balusters and portal frame, etc. Bas - relief found in this ruin depicts legendary animal called makon, an amalgam of lion, elephant and fish, with five - headed serpent in its mouth. The bas - relief depicting serpents resemble that of the Angkor Wat, contrived in the 12 th century.

Tags : ///

Prasat Wat Sa Kamphaeng Yai : Si Sa Ket


[ Photo credits to www.hotelsguidethailand.com]

The
sanctuary is Si Sa Ket's largest Khmer stone structure. There are 3 pagodas on the same base from north to south and facing west. The middle building is the main pagoda made of sandstone and some bricks.

The other 2 pagodas are made of bricks with some sand stone decorations such as a lintel and doorway frame. Behind the southern pagoda stands another brick pagoda and in front of there are 2 brick chapels surrounded by a crooked porch of laterite and sandstone. Doorway face all 4 directions. The main pagoda features a lintel of the god Indra god Naria lying on a pedestal over Naga. The pagoda of the south has another lintel of the gods Shiva and Uma seated.

Tags : ////

Prang Chong Don Tuan : Si Sa Ket


[ Photo credits to soathongchai.com ]

This is on a steep cliff in the
Phanom Dong Rak mountain range near the Thai-Cambodian border, 8 kilometres from Ban Phumisaron or 38 kilometres from the district office. This small Khmer site has a square pagoda built of brick, a doorway of stone and a lion guarding the entrance.


Tags : ////

Wat Phra That Rueang Rong : Si Sa Ket



This temple is 8 kilometres away on the Si Sa Ket-Yang Chum Noi road. The site has a traditional design. The area is used for religious ceremonies and as a museum to display the life of Isan tribes such as Lao, Khmer, Suai, and Yoe.


Tags : ///

Wat Khao Kaeo : Saraburi


[ Photo credits to tourismthailand ]

Wat Khao Kaeo Worawihan
is
situated in Ton Tan Sub-district, on the right side of the Pa Sak River, 6 kilometres from Sao Hai District Office. When King Rama IV visited Sao Hai District, he ordered the renovation of this temple and promoted it as a royal temple. There has been a rumor that there used to be a bright crystal ball over the Wihan of Wat Khao Kaeo on some nights. It is considered a miracle of the sacred object contained inside the Chedi. Inside the small 5-spired Chedi situated between the bell tower and the main chedi reside the adorned Buddha image, Buddha image in the Palelai (Palilayaka) posture, and the Lord Buddha’s footprint. All of these are beautiful.

Tags: ////

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wat Protketchettharam : Samut Prakarn


[ Photo credits to www.culture.go.th ]

Located at Tambon Song Kha Nong, this is the only Thai-Buddhism temple in Phra Pradaeng. Other temples are of the Mon-Buddhism sect. Phraya Phetphichai built it during the reign of King Rama II. A distinct and unique architectural characteristic of the temple is that its roof is covered with ancient Mon ceramic shingles, without any decorations on the temple roof. The front of the main building, Ubosot, above the entrance, is done with stucco adorned with vine lines and decorated with ancient porcelain and ceramic pieces. Inside, there is a cast-metal Buddha image in the attitude of Subduing Mara.

The second main building, Wiharn, has the same architecture as the first building. Inside the second main building, there is a reclining Buddha of which the face is very beautiful. Above the windows, there are the pictures of Dhamma Riddles of western arts style, which is extremely rare. Another building, Mondop, has a roof that is covered with ceramic shingles and decorated with small Chinese pavilions all around the edge of the roof. It enshrines Buddha images in many the attitudes and has chedis at all 4 corners. Inside the Mondop, there are Buddha images and the replication of Lord Buddha's Footprint, decorated with pearl inset.

Tags : / / / /

Wat Yai Suwannaram : Phetchaburi


[ Photo credits to www.thai-tour.com ]

This is another important temple in the town, situated 1 km. east of the city hall. The main shrine hall
has no windows. It contains 300-year-old mural paintings of mythical angels. The multi-purpose hall (Sala Kanprian), once located in Ayutthaya's Grand Palace, was entirely built of teak wood and decorated with fine carving work especially at the door panels. The hall also houses a preaching throne with intricate wood carvings and gold gilt works of Bangkok design.

Tags: ////

Wat Sa Bor Kaew : Phrae



Located on NamKhu Road next to the city moats is Wat Sa Bo Kaeo.
This temple has an exotic and beautiful pagoda. The marble Buddha image is also in Burmese style. It is a very splendid temple. It is also where Burmese monks who travel to Thailand to study the Buddhist scripture stay.

Tags: ////

Wat Phra That Cho Hae : Phrae



Wat Phra That Cho Hae
is the most famous temple in Phrae. This temple is about 8 kilometres to the east of town on Highway No. 1022. A major religious site of the province, it was built since the time of Sukhothai. The 33 metre-tall Chiang Saen-style Chedi houses a Holy Relic. It was built of bricks and covered with bright brass sheets. The name of the temple refers to fine silk woven in Sip Song Panna (in southern China) which was first used to wrap around the Chedi when the temple was first constructed. There is a fair celebrating the Chedi in March every year.

Tags: ////

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wat Nong Daeng : Nan


[ Photo credits to www.nan.go.th]

Wat Nong Daeng
in Puea sub-district was constructed in 1787 by the Thai Lue and Thai Phuan people. The main Buddha image was cast by Khruba Sitthikan. The first renovation of the assembly hall was done in 1949 and again later in 1995. It was completed in 1996. Within the compound of the temple is a large shady terrace. The Chofa – gable finial decoration of a Buddhist temple’s roof – is engraved into the sculpture of Nok Hatsadiling (Hastilinga) – a mythical bird in the literature whose tip of the beak is an elephant’s trunk. The Thai Lue people believe that it is a high-ranked animal from heaven. At the same time, the eaves boards are embellished with wooden fretwork, the unique ones of the Thai Lue people. The Buddha image is enshrined on the Chukkachi base – a masonry base of intertwined Nagas, called Naga Throne. It has been believed that the Naga is a symbol of gracefulness, goodness, and a protector of Buddhism. Wat Nong Daeng was granted the Award of Outstanding Performance in the category of Cultural Attraction in Northern Thailand in the 5th Thailand Tourism Awards 2004.

Tags: ////

Wat Phaya Wat : Nan


[ photo credits to www.nan.go.th]

This temple is located just before reaching the town on Highway No. 101. An ancient religious site, it has rectangular Chedi bases on which Buddha states are placed around the Chedi structure. Combined artistic influences of Lanna, Lan Chang and native Nan can be detected.

Wat Pa Fang : Lampang


[ Photo credits to www.thai-tour.com ]

Built during the reign of King Rama IV by Burmese, Wat Pa Fang is located on Sanam Bin Road. It has a large, glittering gold Chedi containing a Holy Relic brought over from Myanmar around 1906. The extensive Sala Kan Parian (preaching hall) is made entirely of wood with Burmese-style overlapping roofs. A small Ubosot has a Burmese-style woodwork over its roof with beautiful plaster designs over its doors. Usually there are a considerable number of Burmese monks in residence


Tags :
/ / / /

Prasat Pueai Noi : Khon Kaen



Prasat Pueai Noi
is the largest Khmer sanctuary in the upper Northeast. The compound comprises 3 brick buildings built on the same laterite base. All face to the east. Each pagoda has a sandstone lintel with designs. Each pagoda has a smaller chapel and a lintel with clear, lovely designs. A laterite wall surrounds the compound and there is a pool just beyond it. From Khon Kaen, take Highway No. 2 for 44 kilometres to Ban Phai, then take Highway No. 23 for 11 kilometres to Borabu district, then take a right-hand road for 24 kilometres to Ku Pueai Noi.


Tags: ///

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Phrathat Kham Kaen : Khon Kaen



This is a 19-metre stupa at Wat Chetiyaphum, Amphoe Nam Phong, about 26 km. northeast of Khon Kaen. According to legend, King Moriya, a ruler of Cambodia, ordered revered monks to carry the Lord Buddha’s ashes to be enshrined in Phrathat Phanom of Nakhon Phanom Province. On their way stood a dead tamarind tree, the sun was setting, they settled for the night there. In the morning, the monks continued their journey. Unfortunately, when they arrived, Phrathat Phanom had already been built, so they decided to head home. Once again passing the tamarind tree, but this time tree stood vivaciously alive, sprouting its branches and leaves as if to convey that the ashes should be situated here. Therefore, the monks advised the local villagers to build a stupa on the spot, which was obviously sacred.

source: www.kku.ac.th

Tags: /////

Wat Phra Kaeo : Chainat



Situated at Mu 10, Tambon Phraek Si Racha, which is about 23 kilometres off the provincial town of Chai Nat, Wat Phra Kaeo is another ancient temple housing a beautiful square-based stupa. Within the temple ground also houses a high stupa in a harmonious blend of the Lawo and late Dvaravati styles, as well as a relic chamber with a recessed base in the Sukhothai and Sri Vijaya styles. In front of the stupa stands a Buddha image hall known as Wihan Luangpho Chai, where a delicately carved sandstone lintel was found at the back of the image. This lintel depicts an image of the God Indra riding the elephant named Erawan inside a stylized shelter in a distinctive Khmer style, which dates back to more than 1,000 years ago. It is believed that at the decline of the Khmer empire, someone must have taken this artefact from somewhere and carved the Buddha image out of it. However, the head of the elephant is overturned, its trunk pointing upward, as a riddle that in order to be enlightened like the Lord Buddha “one must overcome greed, hatred, and ignorance to find true happiness.”

Tags: /////

Prang Ku Suan Taeng : Buriram



This khmer sanctuary at Ban Don Wai can be reached by using the Buriram-Phayakkhaphum Phisai road (Highway No. 219) for 70 kilometres, then left onto Highway No. 202 to Prathai for about 40 kilometres where there is a left-hand road to Ku Suan Taeng. This is another Khmer site with 3 brick pagodas on a single laterite base. The famous Narai Banthom Sin lintel was discovered here and is now kept in the National Museum in Bangkok. The lintel proves this site dates from the 17th Buddhist century.

Tags : ////

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong : Chiang Rai



It is located on Doi Chom Thong on the bank of the Kok River within town area, contains what is believed to be the oldest Holy Relic even before King Mengrai built Chiang Rai. The Chedi containing the Holy Relic was probably renovated at the same time the town was being built. A major religious site in Chiang Rai was from here that King Mengrai spotted the strategic location on which to establish the town.

Tags: ////

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wat Mahathat : Phetchabun


[ photo credit to www.thai-tour.com ]

Situated in Muang Phetchabun municipality. This monastery is an ancient temple which H.R.H. Prince Damrong presumed that this monastery might be constructed during Sukhothai period. Wat Mahathat has the important objects of worship such as,
Phum Khao Binth styled pagoda has been presumed that it might be constructed about B.E. 1926 (1383). This pagoda is a place that comprises Buddha's relics, Orrahan's (saint) ashes, and small images of Buddha in several styles. Two buddha images of the U-Thong period whose laps are 36 inches wide. One is housed in the main chapel and the other is housed in the vihara of Wat Mahathat.

Tags: /////

Si Thep Historical Park : Phetchabun



Some 130 kilometres south of Phetchabun on Highway No. 21, and with another 9 kilometres after a left turn, is the Si Thep Historical Park. Si Thep is an ancient town where many architectural structures still remain indicative of its past prosperity during the 11th-18th Buddhist Centuries. It was once the centre of contact between the Dvaravati kingdom in the Central Plain basin and the Khmer kingdom in the Northeast. A twin-city, there were over one hundred ancient sites all built with bricks and laterite, most of which have crumbled. There are also remains of several ponds spread out all over the area. Most of the ancient relics recovered are parts of architectural nature such as elaborate lintels, plastered designs and Sema stone (used to mark out limits of Buddhist temples) and human skeletons still adorned with ornamental pieces.

The admission fee is 100 baht.


Tags: ////

The Old City Park : Phichit


[photo: sanook.com]

It is located on Phichit - Wang Chik Road, about 8 kms. From Phichit township. It is believed that thes area used to be the old Phichit town approximatedly 900 years ago. In the park, there is an arboretum, a peaceful reloxing place for local people. In addition, there are Ko Si Mala, Tham Chalawan and sculptures of important features from a Thai literatur "Kraithong"

Tags : //

Wat Khao Rup Chang : Phichit



Wat Khao Rup Chang
is located along the Phichit-Taphan Hin road some 15 kilometres from town. On the hilltop is an old, Ayutthaya-style Chedi built of bricks but with its top part now broken. There is also a Mondop, the wall murals of which have largely faded away. The Mondop house a bronze Holy Relic.

Tags : / / / /

Friday, July 3, 2009

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet Palace : Phetchaburi


[Photo Source: kanchanapisek.or.th]

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet
(Ban Puen Palace) is a palace which King Chulalongkorn graciously built Ban Puen in 1910. Local people usually call it "Wang Ban Puen". The building shows the glamour of the Western architect and interior designer. At present, the palace is under the supervision of the Army campus of Phetchaburi province. Open daily during office hours.
This palace, originally called Ban Puen Palace, was located at Tambon Ban Mo Amphoe Muang Changwat Phetchaburi. King ChulachomWao, Rama V, desired to have it built as a rainy season palace with his own money. The plot of land was bought from a villager and the design was made by a German, Mr.Karl Deurring. Admiral HRH Prince Boriphat of Nakhonsawan and HRH Prince Damrong were assigned to monitor the construction. The palace is of European design and construc-tion began in 1909 and completed in 1916. The palace was named during the reign of King Rama Vl as Son Phetch Prasat Palace. The name was changed to be Phraram Ratchaniwet in the year 1918 when it was used as a palace to welcome and accommodate state visitors.

During the reign of King Rama VII the place was utilized, by the royal command, as Boy Scout Commanding School, Agricultural Teacher Training College, Tambon Public School, etc. In the year 1986, the Royal Thai Army requested the cooperation of the Fine Arts Department to renovate the palace spending the budget of the Fine Arts Department to the amount of 2.8 million baht and the budget of the Royal Thai Army to the amount of 8.3 million baht. The renovation was completed in the year 1987. It is expected that this palace will be used as the Phetchaburi National Museum.

source: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest

Tags : / / / /

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Phra That Satcha : Loei


[ photo credit to www.thai-tour.com ]

Phra That Satcha
is located in the area of Wat Lat Pu, Ban Tha Li. on the Highway 201, turn left at the junction to the Highway 2115 Tha Li - Ahi route. The Wat is 2 kilometers from Amphoe Tha Li Administrative Office. the architectural structure of Phra That Satcha consists of the blossomed lotuses with 3 layered petals, one meter high sprung around pagoda. The Phra That, similar in style to Phra That Phanom, is 33 meters high and topped with the white 7 tiered umbrella of sovereignty.


Tags: // /

Phra That Si Song Rak : Loei


[ photo credit to www.thai-tour.com]

Phra That Si Song Rak
is located on the Phra That Si Song Rak bank of Man River about one kilometer away from Amphoe Dan Sai. Constructed in 1560, it commemorates the mutual cooperation between Krung Sri Ayutthaya and Krung Sri Satana Kanahut (Vientiane). The structure is about 30 meters high and its annual celebrations are attended by thousands of people.

Tips for visitors: As the pagoda is built for friendship and peace, red attire and red flowers are prohibited as the color denotes violence.


Tags: // /

Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaeo: Si Sa Ket


[ photo credit to recmert.kku.ac.th]

Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaeo
or Wat Lan Khuat is located in the municipality region, the Buddhist temple is remarkable with architectures made from million of colourful glass bottles donated by the people. All the architecture is beautiful, particularly the pavilion called ‘Sala Thansamo Maha Chedi Kaeo’ Ubosoth located mid of the pond. The ubosoth houses a very beautiful white jade Buddha image.


Tags : // /