Phra Si Ratana Ched Erected in 1855 by King Rama IV, the Main Stupa contains relics of the Buddha and is regarded as the most sacred of all stupa in the Royal Chapel.
The bell-shaped stupa, with a series of ascending circular mouldings and four porticoes with miniature stupas on top, was built in imitation of one of the three stupas at Wat Phra Si Sanphet, the Royal Chapel in the Grand Palace at the former capital, Ayutthaya. It was later covered with golden mosaic tiles imported from Italy at the command of King Rama V.
In the hollow interior of the stupa is a smaller stupa containing the sacred relics, while around it stand four small square redented stupa
Technorati Tags: Wat phra kaew/Bangkok/thailand temple/thai temple/Wat