Wat Phrathat Hariphunchai was built in the reign of King Athittayarat of the Raman dynasty in 897. Later on in 1433 during the reign of King Tilokraj, the King of Chiang Mai, it was repaired and renewed ; five new pagodas in the Srilanka style were built and added. The pagodas enshrine the ashes of the Lord Buddha. Religious ceremonies of the province are performed here.
The Phrathat Hariphunchai Pagoda has a nine-tiered umbrella made of gold weighing about 6500 grams. The square-shaped base of the 46-meter-high gold-topped chedi in the center of the courtyard is the oldest structure in the temple. Ten centuries younger world. The sala was restored in 1915 after it was damaged by fire.
Technorati tags : Lamphun /thai temple /Thailand Temple /Wat Phra That Hariphunchai /Wat